Northwestern Data Science and Visualization Boot Camp
Prepare for a Data Career in 24 Weeks
Chicago Data Science Boot Camp
Northwestern Data Science and Visualization Boot Camp puts the student experience first, teaching you the knowledge and skills to conduct analytics on a wide array of real-world problems, in partnership with edX.
In just 24 weeks, you’ll journey through a challenging curriculum and gain the specialized skills needed to analyze Big Data and turn it into clear insights. With a part-time schedule, you’ll attend class on evenings, allowing you to fit this program into your life.
Is a data boot camp for you?
If you are hard working and want to join the data revolution, or if any of the following sound like you, we believe this could be the professional move you’ve been searching for:
- You are in a business where data is vital to the bottom line.
- You are currently a data professional and want to advance your career by gaining new technical skills.
- You are interested in visualizing consumer, social, or popular trends.
- You seek to enter a new field like government, media, or healthcare—and are looking for a way in.
- You are a full-time student but wish to expand your knowledge and bolster your skill set.
Get Program Info
What you will learn:
These projects allow you to build a professional portfolio that showcases your skills to stand out in today’s job market. Over 24 intensive weeks, you’ll learn the fundamentals for data analytics, including:
- Pivot Tables
- VBA Scripting
- Python 3
- API Interactions
- Extract, Transform, Load (ETL)
Front End Web Visualization
- Geomapping with Leaflet.js
Business Intelligence Software
- Data Ethics
- Big Data Analytics with Hadoop
- Supervised Machine Learning
- Unsupervised Machine Learning
- Deep Learning
* Note: These topics are subject to change based on local market demand and the input of our hiring partners.
How to Apply
- Form Submission. Fill out our program interest form with a few of your key details so that we can get in touch with you.
- Admissions Interview and Application. Connect with a member of our admissions team for a quick phone interview to discuss the program in more detail, answer your questions, and talk through your goals. Then, fill out a short application that tells us more about you and your reasons for pursuing this opportunity.
- Assessment. Complete a multiple-choice critical thinking and problem-solving assessment. This is your chance to show us your logic-based skills. No prior industry experience is required to complete the assessment. If you pass your academic assessment (congratulations!), you are officially accepted into the program and able to move forward with the enrollment process.
- Financial Options, Deposit, and Enrollment Agreement. After acceptance into the program, you will connect with admissions to discuss which financial option works best for you. Once you’ve approved your desired payment method, the last step to finalize your enrollment is to pay your deposit and review and sign your enrollment agreement.
Start Your Journey. That’s it! You’re now ready to begin your program pre-work and prepare to start the boot camp.
Part-Time Data Science and Visualization Boot Camp
- 24-week program
- Classes held three weekdays from 6:30 to 9:30 p.m.
The Market for Data Scientists in Chicago
Data science innovation is revolutionizing the way businesses make decisions, understand trends, and prepare for the future. While the sheer volume of data organizations must process makes data science a business-critical function, exciting focus areas like machine learning and predictive modeling have just scratched the surface of what professionals in this field will accomplish. As a result, it’s certainly not surprising that, with a projected 7,100 open jobs for data scientists annually, there is a bright future in store for these professionals!
According to CareerOneStop, data science job opportunities are projected to grow at an incredible 31 percent from 2019 to 2029. Even better, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) ranks Illinois in the top five states with the highest employment levels in data science, with salaries ranging from $73,810 to $124,740.
In addition, the BLS ranks the Chicago-Naperville-Elgin area in the top ten metro areas with the highest level of data science employment. Bearing in mind that salary depends on many factors — with level of education, years of experience, and type of experience (e.g., specialization within the field) having the most significant impact — the mean annual salary for data scientists in the Chicagoland area is $101,180, according to the BLS.
Interestingly, another benefit of this field is the trend allowing more flexible work options, with remote work and hybrid work environments becoming much more common. This can be an attractive prospect for those looking to have an exciting career while maintaining a healthy work/life balance.
Contact an admissions adviser at (312) 428-4888 or fill out the form below if you’re ready to learn more about Northwestern Data Science and Visualization Boot Camp.